Radium Hot Springs History

 

 

  • Pre 1840s: Indigenous people considered the hot springs a spiritual place and used the water as a source of rejuvenation and healing. 

 

  • 1841: Sir George Simpson, the governor of the Hudson's Bay Company, made the first recorded visit to the springs. He bathed in a gravel pool just big enough for one person.

 

  • Late 1800s: The first permanent settlers came to the area and the springs became more popular.

 

  • 1890: Roland Stuart, an Englishman, purchased the springs for $160.

 

  • 1914: Construction of a concrete bathing pool, log bathhouse, small store and a home for the caretaker.

 

  • 1922: The government assumed ownership of hot springs and it was included in a newly established Kootenay National Park.  

 

  • 1927: Construction of a new bathhouse and expansion of the pool.

 

  • 1949: Construction of the Aquacourt building begins and is completed in 1951.

 

  • After 1951: Construction of a new bathhouse and expansion of the pool. The building is recognised as a Classified Federal Heritage Building in 1994.

 

The Heritage Character Statement

 

  • 1968: A new hot pool replaced the original 1914 pool and a collection system for all the hot springs sources was installed.

 

  • 1997: Major renovations begin with new reception area, gift shop, upgraded change rooms, and hot/cold plunge pool.

 

  • 2001: Radium Hot Springs celebrated the 50th anniversary of the building of the Aquacourt with special events all summer long!

  • 2002: A new spa opened offering health oriented services to visitors.

 

  • 2010: The Olympic Torch Relay passes through Radium Hot Springs as part of the celebrations surrounding the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.